These four wooden block each contain ten cylinders. These cylinders vary in size by half a centimetre in each dimension.
Block 1: ten cylinders varying in height and diameter from tall and wide to short and narrow.
Block 2: ten cylinders varying in height and diameter from shot and wide to tall and narrow.
Block 3: ten cylinders varying in diameter only.
Block 4: ten cylinders varying in height only.
- To develop the child’s visual perception of dimension.
- To develop the child’s visual discrimination.
- To develop the child’s co-ordination of movements.
- To provide controlled experiences of serration.
- To introduce basic language – important for alter mathematics.
- To prepare the child for reading and writing – using the pincer grip to hold the cylinders and always working from left to right.
To see a demonstration of this activity, please see the video below: